Permitted Development Guidance – Single Storey Rear Extensions:
Below you will find the permitted development guidelines for single storey rear extensions. If you would prefer to discuss your proposed extension with one of our friendly knowledgeable team then please call 0800 069 9550
No more than half the area of land around the “original house”* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
- Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2019.
These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.
- Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
- Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
- On designated land no cladding of the exterior.