PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT GUIDELINES
Subject to the following limits and conditions planning permission is generally not required:
- The volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses*
- The volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses*
- There cannot be an extension beyond the place of the existing roof slope of the main elevation facing the highway.
- No extension can be taller than the highest part of the existing roof
- Materials used in the extension must be similar to the materials used on the existing house
- No balconies, verandas, or raised platforms (Juliet balconies are permitted)
- All side-facing windows must be obscure glazed; this includes any opening 1.7 metres above the floor
- In designated areas, roof extensions are not permitted development
- Aside from hip and gable roof extensions, all roof extensions are to be set back as far as possible, and must be at least 20 centimetres from the eaves.
If you are in have doubts regarding the lawfulness of your proposed loft conversion then please call 0800 069 9550 to speak to a member of our friendly team.